The Wolcott Public Library Board considers the use of the Meeting Rooms as an extension of library services. The rooms should be available to the library community in its broadest sense and reflect the educational, cultural, social and recreational role the library plays.
The Board subscribes to Article IV of the Library Bill of Rights, which states that the facility should be made available to the public served by the given library on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting its use. Use of the room by a group in no way means the library or Town endorses the particular beliefs or purposes of that group.
Only noncommercial tax-exempt, religious, civic, or governmental groups may use the rooms free of charge. Commercial groups or non-Wolcott residents/groups may rent meeting rooms for an hourly or daily rate, which will be set by the Wolcott Library Board and/or Town Council.
Fund raising activities of nonprofit groups will be permitted at the discretion of the Library Director and the Library Board. Such activities will be restricted to designated areas of the building, and will not be permitted in the lobby or spaces where they would interfere with the daily conduct of library business.
Availability and Application for Use:
- There are three Meeting Rooms available for public use by groups. The capacity for the Mural Room is 60 seats, the capacity for the Rotunda Room is 35 seats and the capacity for the Reference room is 15 seats.
- The rooms are generally available for use during library hours of service.
- Availability of the Meeting Rooms will be on a first-come basis. The following priorities will apply in case of conflict:
- A group affiliated with or sponsored by the library.
- A Wolcott-based group.
- A regional group.
- Organizations other than library-related should apply using the Meeting Room application form no more than one year in advance to use the rooms. Groups are limited to using a room four times a year in order to maintain accessibility. Exceptions may be made only with the permission of the Library Director and/or Library Board. The Library Director or her/his designee is authorized to implement the policy for approval or denial of use.
Limitations and General Rules:
- There may be no closed meetings.
- The room is not available for private parties or social gatherings.
- Smoking, vaping and alcohol are not permitted.
- The library retains the right to limit attendance at meetings or programs.
- Limited library equipment may be made available through advanced arrangement.
- Refreshments may be served.
- Groups using the room are responsible for proper supervision, for assuring that the event does not disrupt library services, for leaving the Meeting Room in good order, and for costs from any damage or loss to the room or to the library during use.
- Groups are limited to using a room four times a year in order to maintain accessibility.
- Exceptions to these rules may be enacted at the discretion of the Library Board.
In order to book a room, a representative of the group must fill out and sign a meeting room application form. The group must comply with the rules stated on the form.