The Friends of the Wolcott Public Library are a great asset to the library and the community. We would not be able to offer many of the programs and services that we do, nor would we have many of the materials we are able to provide if not for the Friends.
Here are some of the many things the Friends have done and continue to do for the library…
Books for Babies
The Friends are always looking for ways to promote reading; one of the ways they do this is by providing funds for “Books for Babies.” Mothers-to-be register in the Children’s Department and after her baby arrives she receives a bag filled with a book, a library card registration form, a bookmark and reading materials to assist in raising a lifelong reader.
The Friends commissioned three murals that depict historic landmarks, the history of Wolcott, and the State of Connecticut. Murals were painted by Wolcott resident, Deborah Weik.
Each year the Friends host a holiday party for children. The Friends provide refreshments, gifts, and crafts for all the children.
Formerly, the library used mailboxes that had inadequate capacity. The Friends worked hard raising enough money, through their book sales, to purchase a drop-box that meets the library’s needs.
In an effort to beautify the library, the Friends fund and donate their time landscaping the library’s exterior.
The Friends that keep on Giving
- In 2009, a wide electric screen for movies and presentations was purchased.
- In 2008, the Friends purchased a security system for protection.
- Two curio cabinets were purchased for Friends’ collections display.
- In 2008, the Friends purchased a new, remote-controlled sound system for the Children’s Room allowing story times to run more smoothly.
- A digital camera and printer were purchased to record library functions and post pictures on our webpage.
- Two people counters were purchased for the library by the Friends in order to collect statistics on library visits. This helps the library with budget and resource justifications.
- In 2013 the Friends purchased a lovely, new wing chair for the library in honor of long time Friends member, Sandra Lofgren.
- All museum passes are purchased by the Friends for the library.
- In 2012 the Friends purchased a beautiful, new cabinet for the library’s monthly displays.
- For the past few years the Friends have funded three of the library’s databases–Tumblebooks and A to Z the World for children, and A to Z World Travel for adults.